Past_Present_Future_Banner
Share |

Friday, June 17, 2011

Welcome Home!

UPDATED - THANKS TO RODNEY MARTIN!


Great news this Friday morning from the Hockey Bunker at the Bryce Jordan Center! Former Icers Captain and Assistant Coach Bill Downey is coming home, named today as the Director of Hockey Operations.

Bill spent the past season in the same position for the men's and women's hockey teams at Harvard. I chatted online with Bill's wife Amy, who tells me she and Ellie are thrilled to be coming back to Hockey Valley.

Here's the full press release, and here's the notable quotes from the release.

From the man himself:
"As all alumni can attest, returning to campus is already an indescribable feeling in and of itself," says Downey. "But to come back to work for a Division I hockey program at Penn State is truly a special opportunity, and one that I accept with great responsibility, humility and enthusiasm. I'm thrilled to help shape the program that ultimately shaped me -- as both a player and person."

From JoeBa:
"Bill Downey is the perfect link to the past, present, and future of Penn State Hockey," said Battista. "As an alum and former player he brings a passion for all things Penn State. I was blessed to have recruited and coach him and am thrilled to have him back on our staff."

Women's coach Josh Brandwene:
"I have known Bill Downey for over a decade. I had the pleasure of coaching him as an assistant coach during the 2003 World University Games and have worked many summer camps with him," said head women's ice hockey coach Josh Brandwene. "He is an outstanding choice for this role and it's great to welcome him back to the Penn State community."

And men's coach Guy Gadowsky:
"Billy Downey is a great hire for Penn State Hockey," said men's hockey head coach Guy Gadowsky. "I have received several emails from alumni who recommended Billy highly as both hockey mind and as a person. He represents himself extremely well, and immediately establishes intelligence and a genuine honesty with whomever he communicates with. I have great respect for Coach Donato and he could not have been more complimentary with what he said about the job Billy did as Director of Hockey Operations for two very successful men's and women's hockey programs at Harvard. I know Billy will be a huge asset to Penn State Hockey."

No comments:

Post a Comment