Past_Present_Future_Banner
Share |

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hockey Is a 60 Minute Game

If a hockey team, be it the Icers or any other team, needs a lesson about hockey being a 60-minute game, all they need to do is fire up a replay of what happened last night in Buffalo.

I was working the (YAWN) bouncy-ball game at the BJC last night, but was keeping up on the score of the World Junior Championship gold medal game.  I got in my car with Canada up 3-0 after two, called Barb and said I'd be home in time for the medal ceremony.

Little did I know I'd be watching the Russians celebrate an unfathomable come-from-behind victory while my home country was left in a state of disbelief.

 As Team Canada captain Ryan Ellis put it, they just stopped skating in the third.  Two goals 13 seconds apart put the Russians on a path to gold and gave a huge boost to hockey in Russia.

It's a tough pill to swallow for Team Canada, especially those boys that were on last year's team that lost the gold to Team USA in overtime. It's a feeling that some Icers teams and Penn State fans can relate to.

I'd be remiss if I failed to congratulate the US for bouncing back from its loss to Canada by taking the bronze from pre-tournament favorite Sweden.

Now, on to something that I've never seen in over 50 years of playing and watching hockey.  This is from Tuesday's USHL game between Sioux City and Sioux Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment