Past_Present_Future_Banner
Share |

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I Knew It!

Before I go any further, I just want to say that what I'm about to post is in no way critical of the officials in Saturday's Penn State - Rhode Island tournament game. This is just my way of proving that what I saw actually happened.

To set the stage - Rhode Island led 1-0 late in the second period with the Icers down a man. Domenic Morrone chased the puck in the Rhody zone and spotted Paul Daley in the slot.

Daley spun and backhanded the puck past Rams goalie Paul Kenny. Andrew Gerbosi and I were to the right of the net at ice level. I clearly saw the puck go over the goal line against the white padding inside the far post and then bounce right back out.

It was a bang-bang play and right now it is obviously a moot point. However, had it been ruled a goal it could have been a turning point in a very close game.

With too much time on my hands between the semifinals and Wednesday's final between the top two teams - Lindenwood and Davenport - I had the chance to look at the video frame by frame.

I caught three screen captures, but the video quality is not HD like the NHL has in the war room in Toronto. However, I think the evidence is there.

Here's the video of the play at full speed.


It's not easy to see the puck after it passes Kenny. Here's the first screen grab with the arrow pointing at the puck. Trust me, if you look at the video frame by frame, that is the puck.


Now comes the money shot - the puck is well over the goal line, along the white lower padding inside the net.


And the final shot shows the puck behind Kenny on its way back out of the cage.


No sour grapes - no complaints or recriminations. This is just my way of proving that my eyes maybe aren't as bad as I think they are at times!

But you can ask the woulda-shoulda-coulda question -- what impact would that play have made if it had been ruled a goal? We'll never know, but I think you have a pretty good idea.

Now - as for the final between the two-time defending champion Lindenwood Lions and the upstart Davenport Panthers (seeking their first D-I title in their first year at the top level) - let me just say that it's going to be a track meet.

These are two very good teams that are very skilled and VERY fast. Davenport has won at the D-II level, but it says here that the Lions will come away with their third straight Murdoch Cup with a nail-biting 3-2 victory.

It's going to be a fun game to call - I hope that you enjoy it as much as we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment