Past_Present_Future_Banner
Share |

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Off Topic Tuesday Rant!

I'll be at practice today to get an interview or two, but first it's time to express my displeasure with NHL and its treatment of those of us who are fans of the Canadian teams.

Last night I sat down to watch the Leafs in Anaheim, but the NHL Center Ice package on DirecTV only had the Anaheim feed!

This morning I crunched the numbers from the DirecTV Center Ice schedule. I wonder why we have to pay the same amount as fans of US teams, since we are getting an inferior product.

Here's the results from the start of the season through last night:

Number of games involving Canadian teams broadcast on the Center Ice channels: 37

Number of games with 2 Canadian teams: 12

Number of games with 2 Canadian teams shown in HD: 0

Number of games with US vs Canadian teams: 25

Number of games with US vs Canadian teams with both feeds: 10

Number of games with US vs Canadian teams with both feeds in HD: 0

Number of games with US vs Canadian teams with single feed in HD: 4

CONCLUSION:

With less than a month gone in the season, less than half of the games between US and Canadian teams have offered both feeds.

None of the games between Canadian teams and none of the games with both US and Canadian feeds offered the Canadian feed in HD.

There -- I feel better now!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I've had the same rant for a few weeks now, but unlike you, I don't have forum for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, the Flyer's home feed is NEVER on Center Ice.
    Comcast conspiracy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get any games in HD at all! Thanks Comcasst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My main beef with Center Ice is the lack of HD feeds for some teams. No HD feed for the Isles/Habs last night on Center Ice, ridiculous. Glad I have RDS HD as a fall back but for what you pay for Center Ice, you'd think they'd have all games in HD on night when there's only 4 games on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Habs fan, I'm pretty much always stuck with the other team's broadcasters due to RDS being the home team broadcaster. There'll be about four times a year that they show the RDS feed since the other team isn't even broadcasting the game.

    I'm with Comcast and we get one or two HD games during the evening (sort of like HNIC, the 2nd one starts when the 1st game is over). Of course, the Habs haven't been featured once in HD yet.

    Frankly for $160 a year, every single game should be in HD.

    ReplyDelete